Monday, October 25, 2010

10/25/2010

Hey!
So this might have been the most exhausting week of my mission. We worked our butts off trying to get the last things in order and teaching and getting our investigators ready that were Baptized. As I had said in previous emails that our goal was 7 baptisms. Well this week on Thursday all 7 people passed the baptismal interview! Everything's was going perfectly! Even the dad of the family of 4, who previously said that he wouldn't allow anyone in his family to be baptized, changed his mind. We did a fast to have the Lord change his heart. Then we went and talked to him and he changed his mind and gave permission for everyone to be baptized! We were incredibly happy! On Saturday night we went to the families house with the baptismal clothes for them to try on and we got there and the mom (Rita) answered the door and said "Elders, you wont believe what happened", She went on the explain that earlier that day the dad got really mad about something and decided to change his mind about the baptism, so then all the kids got mad and him and then they decided to not get baptized so their dad wouldn't kill them, and then they all went to their aunts house for the rest of the weekend to escape having to tell us that they wouldn't be baptized! (I about pooped my pants at this moment!) I seriously started crying a little bit. I couldn't believe that god would have all these miracles happen just to have it taken away at the last minute. So we decided that it wasn't over, there was still a bigger miracle to happen. So we knelt in prayer with the mom and we prayed that the children would change their minds and come back from their aunts house (which is like an hour away on the other side of Sao Paulo) We really felt that it would happen. I've never been so scared and so sure at the same time! So as we got home that night, kinda sad, but hopeful, we got a phone call!!! ...But not from who you think it was... IT was from Lucas, another one of the young men that was scheduled to be baptized. He said "Elders I'm not ready to be baptized" and he started giving a ton of excuses, but we could tell that none of the excuses were really the real reason that he didn't want to be baptized. He was just scared. So I was just like "No, you will be baptized and it will be awesome!!! We will come by to pick you up tomorrow morning at 8:30! Bye!" and I hung up the phone before he could tell us no. Then we started praying...ALOT!

Sunday morning. We woke up. Got dressed. Ate breakfast. and headed out the door. Ready to see a huge miracle take place. So we went to Lucas´ house to pick him up. He was like, No I'm not going to be baptized after church, but ill go to church. And we were like no no no you will be baptized, don't worry, its going to be awesome. We said grab a towel and underwear and lets go! He said he didn't want to because he wouldn't be baptized, but that if he decided to be baptized his mom would come after church and bring his stuff. So we took him to church. When we got there we discovered that the baptismal font that we had filled up the night before had leaked out all the water. The basement of the church was flooded. (haha and amazingly this was the least of our problems, because we had to find 4 people to be baptized, and the stake president was there ready to give his talk. All the members were like good job missionaries! Were excited for the 7 baptisms!!! And we were like AH FREAK!!! What are we going to do! We called Rita, the mom of the family, and she said that the kids were still at the aunts house and that they wouldn't come. That's just about when I fell into depression. I lost it and didn't know what to do. But we knew that some how some way everything would work out! So we decided to tackle the then problem. Lucas, we got a ride from a member and went to his house to talk to his mom. (in the meanwhile the second hour of church had started... just 35 minutes till sacrament meeting) we got there and talked to hear and she decided to come and watch her son be baptized and so she brought his towel and underwear. When she got to the church he got all happy and changed his mind and wanted to be baptized! Miracle!!!!

Then Sacrament meeting started. I was freaking out because at this point it was too late. There was no way that we could baptize then 7. It would just be 3. I was reading the scriptures, I wanted to know why God didn't do this miracle. Because it sure wasn't because we didn't have enough faith, or that we were obedient. Then I realized, everyone has agency (doesn't that just suck! haha) But when God did the miracle of opening the red sea, its because the intelligences in the Red sea obeyed. The scripture says that we are worse than dust because at least the dust obeys god. I realized that even after everything we can do, the people still have their agency, and they can choose to listen and follow the temptations of Satan. But wow! I cant believe how hard Satan worked with this family. I've never seen anything like it! This is literally a war we are fighting. And if I ever get the chance to meet Lucifer, I'm going to punch him right in the face!!! haha

But I'm really grateful for the miracles that the Lord has done in this past month! I know, that just as it says, "IF ye have faith in me, ye will have power to do whatsoever thing that is expedient in me"

I know this church is True and I know that baptism really is the door that all must enter to enter into the kingdom of God! Its just really unfortunate when people understand this and still choose to not walk through the door.

Tonight we will get the phone call about transfers. Probably my companion Elder Viana will be transferred... He has been in this area for like 6 months now. I hope he stays, we are seeing alot of success together and getting along super well. But God knows what needs to happen. So next week ill let you all know what goes down.

Thanks for all the love and support and prayers!
Elder Schoen

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see missionary work going on to blogs! I served in the Singapore Mission back in 2002-2004. Now I live in Malaysia and regularly go to visit Singapore.

    Check me out at:

    www.duncaninkuantan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete