Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thank you to all of Elder Schoen's friends that came by last night to hang out and say good bye, it meant so much to him.

We got him to the airport in plenty of time. His bags were just a pound or two under the limit, whew. He was anxious to just get going, that is so JD. There were 6 total elders, that we could tell on the flight to Brazil, one other from our Canyon View Stake. Rob and I were the only first time missionary parents there. We had a good family hug and some tears.

Last night was hard for JD, having his friends there and then having to say good bye was the reality check. There were several tears and long hugs after they left. He had a hard time falling asleep. I'm sure he will sleep on the plane ride from Dallas to Sao Paulo, he has a window seat and Advil PM. I wish we could get a call or something to let us know he got there OK, but I guess no news will be good news.

2 comments:

  1. I was speaking to Jason after you called him and he reminded me that we were in your shoes ten years ago and he was heading to off to Sao Paulo North. We were first time missionary parent as well and now 10 years later and three returned missionaries I believe it doesn't get any easier except for the return trip to the airport.

    We're looking forward to reading the adventures of Elder Schoen. Enjoy every day and the blessings that come from having a missionary in the field.

    Our only counsel that we learned is send 1 shoe at a time in the mail, lots of candy and start making notes now of what you want to talk about at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the day has come! I thought about you guys all day. JD and all of you are in my prayers. I miss & love you all!!

    ReplyDelete